Founding of Columbus

The land that became the city of Columbus was obtained through the 1825 Treaty of Indian Springs, in which the Creeks relinquished claim to their remaining lands in Georgia. In December 1827, the Georgia legislature passed an act establishing the planned city of Columbus at the falls of the Chattahoochee. At the time the only American settlement in the area was around a tavern and Chattahoochee River ferry operated by the Kennard family. Five commissioners were chosen to select an appropriate 1,200-acre site for the town of Columbus: Ignatius Few, Elias Beall, Philip H. Alston, James Hallam, and E.L. deGraffenried.

  • “Embryo Town of Columbus on the Chatahoochie”
    from Forty Etchings, From Sketches Made with the Camera Lucida, in North America, in 1827 and 1828
    1829
    etchings on paper
    Basil Hall
    born Edinburgh, Scotland 1788
    died Portsmouth, England 1844
    Museum purchase made possible by the Evelyn S. and H. Wayne Patterson Fund 2007.14 Click here for more information

  • Saucer transferware
    ca. 1830
    Museum purchase made possible by the Evelyn S. and H. Wayne Patterson Fund 2010.7

    This transferware saucer features a decoration based on Basil Hall’s image of downtown Columbus shortly after its founding. Click here for more information

  • Map of Georgia
    1827
    Anthony Finley
    Gift of Nancy M. Lanham 2005.60

    This map includes Columbus in its first year of existence as well as the frontier community of Fort Mitchell, just south of present-day Phenix City. Click here for more information


Translate »